It’s been a while since I made one of these things! As of late, I have been quite taken by the following:
1. S&B La-Yu Oil My first encounter with La-yu oil is when I mixed it with raw garlic in Ganso-Shabuway’s peanut sauce. Imagine my elation when I found it in a Landmark supermarket. La-Yu oil is essentially chili-sesame and I eat it with everything—my mom’s nilaga, boiled cabbage, even a bowl of Doritos. I can’t get enough. Sadly, I have gone through the small bottle I bought in less than a week.
2. Herschel Supply Co.’s Survey in Rust I have been writing a bit for Bratpack’s blog, so I’ve been looking at their brands for quite a bit. I love the look of Herschel backpacks, but I like this one a lot. I don’t own one, but I wish I did. (Link)
3. Lush solid perfume in Dirty I’ve wanted the solid perfume in another scent, but it wasn’t available. I’m super glad I came across this instead. Inspired by an ‘Italian shower,’ Dirty is a clean, minty smell that uses “intensely crisp spearmint, thyme and tarragon, and the subtle smell of calm seas.” I love it so much, I put it on just to smell it. (Link)
4. Canon S100 I got this camera a few months ago because I wanted a portable point-and-shoot to call my own~ My dad is really into cameras so I used to just borrow whatever he wasn’t using. This one is truly mine, and so far, I haven’t been disappointed. It does well in low-light, as long as you’re really still, and the controls are very intuitive. (Link)
5. Silva/Bradshaw Shift I found a gorgeous ring on ofakind by Silva/Bradshaw but I had already purchased something so I decided to take a look at their other designs, in case they had something cheaper. I saw such lovely pieces, like this ring called Shift! I’m afraid I’ve dug myself into a bigger hole. (Link)
6. Lomo Fisheye Baby 110 Again, I don’t actually own this camera, but it reminds me of my first plastic camera, a red Crayola 110. It’s portable and the prints are super cute since it uses 110 film, which Lomo has fortunately revived, too! (Link)
7. NimbleBit’s Pocket Planes I think I’ve mentioned my descent into the dark abyss that is iPhone gaming. Currently, I am obsessed with NimbleBit’s Pocket Planes. I was first acquainted with their first pixel game, Tiny Tower, but it became somewhat repetitive, and well, Pocket Planes became a lot more exciting. I’m currently about to level up.
8. Of a Kind x Brvtvs Double Arrow Necklace I’ve been a long-time fan of Of a Kind, but it was only when they had a 4th of July sale that I finally decided on a piece that I wanted to own, and this is it! It is super delicate and I can’t wait for it to get here. (Link)
9. Twin Peaks AH! I finally got around to seeing most of the series. I’m currently halfway through the second season. I started watching it when I started working at Lomography, but it became too distracting to multitask. It’s weirdly easier to watch while doing other things now. I love this show, and I’m in between wanting to know what happens next and not wanting the ride to reach its inevitable end!
Nownow began as a series of mixes Petra made for the music blog we used to run. A nownow mix is a bunch of songs that are:
- the single songs from a freshly-acquired album that happen to appeal to me most
- music that has recently been associated with a particular experience
- a song i smoke to
- guilty pleasures
- classic can’t-let-go songs
the NOWNOW turnover rate: the reason i call it NOWNOW is because it changes almost every day. songs get added, a couple get taken away. the really high turnover rate makes it forever new. this is my fickleness in its most flattering light. it’s the one playlist i’ll never tire of, & i’m happy to share it with you guys.
And now, I’m going to steal/revive this idea. Nownow is for the things I have been consuming and/or obsessed with as of late. Hopefully it’s helpful, entertaining, etc. At the very least, it’s documentation for myself.
Clockwise from the top left:
- The Drums’ Portamento, which I have been listening to a lot ever since coming back from Singapore. I’m scared I’m going to get sick of it so I put it on rotation with The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Death Cab for Cutie, in preparation. Anyway, I love Portamento because it’s refreshing and nothing exactly like I’ve heard before. Also, I’m pretty smitten by Jonny Pierce. He’s amazing to watch perform.
- Daytum! I’ve abandoned and come back and abandoned etc. over the last few years. I’ve found a great use for it, though—tracking everything I need to track, i.e. savings for big purchases, work hours. Plus, it provides a visual of my work vs. play vs. errands.
- My Planner! I used to be attached to my planner’s non-existent hip. And then, I wasn’t, and then my life fell to pieces I became super disorganized. This is to get me back on track, and so far it’s working. Plus, it’s really pretty.
- COCO SUGAR. THIS IS THE BEST SUGAR SUBSTITUTE I’VE EVER COME ACROSS. I was skeptical (but hopeful!) at first, because something this good couldn’t possibly be a healthier option, but lo, it was. It’s safe for diabetics because of the low glycemic index, and it has a lot of nutrients. No dangerous chemicals, additives either. 100% natural. Hard to believe, but I’m just happy this exists and that we make it in the Philippines. I want to make my lola try it. I’m tempted to just eat and eat and eat it but I’ve read that sweeteners in general aren’t particularly healthy, heh.
- Solaris by Ferrania, which is a film I’ve coveted and found in Singapore! Part of me wishes I had hoarded, but I’m waiting for my roll to develop so I can decide if I should ask someone to get more for me.
- My Lomo LC-A+. I put this away for a while because I didn’t understand how to use the focus (lol) but Shine taught me estimates, so I’ve been taking it out whenever I go out of the house. Exciting!
I hope I can do this every week or month. Just to keep track and remember and sometimes, share.