In a few days, I’ll be watching The National play in Singapore. I was supposed to see them in March, but they postponed the show to November. Which turned out to be pretty okay, because I can make all the “Mr. November” jokes I want.
Here’s a sampler of songs, which was difficult to pare down to these sixteen songs. First of all, I am a huge fan of The National. I might as well have uploaded their entire discography, if not for some moral faculties that are still in check. Secondly, I found The National after they had already released Boxer, so I didn’t get to bond with the earlier albums, except for Alligator, which ended up being my favorite.
Anyway—these songs. These are a couple of my favorites. Some of these, they don’t even play live all that often, but I wish they would (cough, “All the Wine,” cough). I hope you enjoy. It’s far from comprehensive, but I’d like to think it’s a pretty good list.
Matt Berninger’s voice takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you do, it’s difficult to imagine listening to anything else.
- “Fake Empire” from Boxer
- “Looking for Astronauts” from Alligator
- “Lit Up” from Alligator
- “Mistaken For Strangers” from Boxer
- “Abel” from Alligator
- “Bloodbuzz Ohio” from High Violet
- “Apartment Story” from Boxer
- “Terrible Love” from High Violet
- “Slow Show” from Boxer
- “Daughters of the Soho Riots” from Alligator
- “Sorrow” from High Violet
- “England” from High Violet
- “Start A War” from Boxer
- “About Today” from Cherry Tree EP
- “Mr. November” from Alligator
- “All the Wine” from Alligator