Personal
comments 6

Hello, Again

So. You might have heard about what happened to this blog. A week ago, my host, web.com.ph, announced that one of their servers, LAX06 was inaccessible and they are working hard to restore everything. It took them a while to do so; however, they were only able to restore the data of about 70% of the accounts on the server. The other 30% had corrupted backup files and all their restores came up empty. Nothing Spaces was a part of that 30%.

Hearing that felt like a punch to the face. I’ve been writing on this blog since May 2009, when I was in the middle of my senior thesis and needed an escape. Pretty dramatic, I know.

Then, it became a repository for all of my travel photos, some food reviews, the art shows I went to—basically, a modern-day diary. A pretty public account of an oversharer that, for some reason, some of you started reading. (Thank you, by the way.)

Right now, I’m scrambling to find some of my favorite entries from the last five years. I’ve saved quite a lot of the “important” posts (thank you, Google Cache!) and I’m grateful for at least that. I think the thing I was terrified of the most was that, perhaps, I would forget a certain feeling, and there would be nowhere to turn to to try and remember.

In some ways, I’m happy (not sure if that’s the right word) that I get to start over, even though it was an involuntary restart. All I know is that so far, I’m okay.

EDIT: I think I’ll republish some of the things that I can grab a hold of under Old Favorites. I won’t be able to update them all in one go, because I’d rather make new entries than live in the past. If you have any particular entries you’d like to be up there (that you remember), let me know and I’ll see what I can do! So far, there have been posts I’ve been wanting to retrieve but couldn’t (e.g. the one with Jens Lekman) because it hadn’t been cached anywhere.

Anyway, that’s it. I wish you all a good life. And lots of cake!

  • Glad it was restored, but really sad about the lost entries. Looking forward for more of your entries. Take Care!

    • carina

      Hey Juvy, thanks for dropping by. It wasn’t actually restored. I’m building it up from scratch again!

  • Hi Carina,

    I think it’s very brave, how you’re handling all of this. I don’t know what I would do if all of my posts just disappeared. Anyways, I don’t know if your site has this feature (Blogspot does) but maybe you can automate an email to yourself whenever you have a new post, that way you can have backup. :)

    Can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with this space next. The idea of a clean slate feels frightening and exhilarating, I think.

    Myka

    • carina

      Hey Myka, thanks for dropping by. Not sure it qualifies as ‘brave’ necessarily! Hehe but thanks for the suggestion.

  • I’ve been wondering what happened to your blog and then I saw this post. That’s a bummer. Did you change your host after what happened? I actually love this layout. So minimal than your last one. ;)

    • carina

      Yeah, it’s so annoying. :( Haha. I haven’t been able to switch hosts, since the one I’m looking at is a bit expensive. Thanks!