I posted my first Casual Consumption entry back in January. I thought it would be a great thing to revive now. I have a weird non-system of keeping track of things I enjoy so this, in theory, should help.
One of the Internetty things I enjoyed was this video by Hank Green, one of the Vlogbrothers. He discusses the age-old question WHAT DO GUYS LOOK FOR IN GIRLS and touches on the societal implications of this very question.
Also on the Enjoyed Immensely part of life, this Interview of John Maeda by The Great Discontent. Now, I usually enjoy TGD interviews anyway, but this one by Maeda, one of my heroes, is particularly inspiring.
“When you’re taking a risk, you can either be audacious or courageous—two different things. If you have audacity and take on a risk, it means you don’t know what you’re getting into; you’re walking through a door, into a dark room, with no idea what’s there. If you have courage, it means that you know exactly what’s behind that door; there’s something dangerous, hard, and it’s going to make you really uncomfortable. I think you get to be more audacious when you’re younger because you don’t have as many experiences to reference. When you’re older, you know a lot of patterns; you know exactly what’s behind that door, and you don’t risk as often. In that frame, I have to say that I have always chosen to be audacious, even though I shouldn’t be. I have the courage to be audacious.” — John Maeda
I ran into this article on Into the Gloss, about how a junk food junkie turned vegan because of a serious illness (worth the read, for real). Then, I found her fabulous blog, Deliciously Ella. I’m making my meal plan right now, mmm.
Other awesome links:
- Telekinesis covers The Kinks’ “This Time Tomorrow” for the upcoming compilation, I Saved Latin! A Tribute To Wes Anderson
- “What Suffering Does” by David Brooks
- Type Wolf, which is a useful type source for research. It has several suggestions for type usage, as well as great open source recommendations.
- F Yeah Female Youtubers is a Tumblr dedicated to women on YT! They have a master list, which has a ton of girls listed.
- Speaking of YouTube, I’ve been enjoying the occasional Crash Course lesson every few days or so, particularly those from science and literature.
- And speaking of lessons, I’ve revived my Skillshare activity and am slowly going through all of the classes I impulsively enrolled in.
In terms of television, I finished my Pushing Daisies rewatch, and breezed through a couple of series namely Orange is the New Black and Broad City. I’ve caught up with Hannibal, Game of Thrones (which I stopped watching), and My Mad Fat Diary. I am currently in the middle of House of Cards (ep 5 of Season 1), New Girl, Parks and Recreation, The Mindy Project, Suburgatory, Community, The Crazy Ones, Awkward, Survivor, and Silicon Valley, as well as a rewatch of Dead Like Me. I’m also dipping my toes into two new shows, Bron/Broen and Borgen, both of which are subtitled and difficult to marathon.
I mean. I watch a lot of T.V., I realized. I like them all a whole lot, except maybe New Girl, Suburgatory, and The Mindy Project, recently. I’m not sure I’ll keep watching The Crazy Ones after this season.
I think that’s it for now! See you next time, whenever that may be. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but who knows with me, eh?